phpwebtools was originally created to cut down on the repetition of code
between certain PHP projects (most notably photoseek
and freemed. It has
gone from being a support toolkit to being a very well featured application
development system, with many functionalities that were previously
restricted to "higher level" things such as C module loading or GUI wizards.
Please note that the current active version of phpwebtools is now contained
inside the FreeMED source tree.
This can be checked out of the Subversion
phpwebtools is quite stable, and has released 0.4.5 -- but don't
let the version number discourage you. Currently it has the following
PHP4 application toolkit
- Authentication. No more manually playing around with basic
authentication routines anymore. This allows pretty much complete
automation of basic-type HTTP authentication.
- Browser detection routines. Need to know if you can use DHTML or
- Counters. Multiple virtual hosts and other niceties are
available with these counter components.
- Forms in a few methods. With a few methods, you can use a single
function to take the place of several lines of repetitive HTML, with
automatic detection of previous values of variables.
- Loadable module support. This allows code to be distributed with
the possibility of upgrades and binary packaging without the core
code having any built-in knowledge of the extra components.
- Notebook GUI clone. A clone of the GTK "notebook" widget with
much of the functionality, for easy application design and implementation.
- Object loader. Fully featured, performance object loader.
- PDF file creation. For those people who either can't compile the
PHP PDF extension or have problems with it, this is an object-oriented
pure-PHP PDF creation library.
- SQL wrapper class. With full wrapping for insert, update, and some
other query creation based on SQL engine
- Tools. Date, phone number, file tools and pre-built widgets so
you don't have to reinvent the wheel with each form.
- WAP WML/HDML support. Encapulating the hawhaw class and adding a
few other tools allows easy WML/HDML integration.
- Wizard GUI clone. This class provides a GUI wizard with
persistant variables, and verification of form data before submission.
- XML-RPC Support. Supports being both a client and a server, in
an object-oriented method.